It is the intent of the Fine Arts department that as a result of completing the Worship Arts: Music Pastor degree, students will demonstrate a balance and ability in functional music skills, church ministry and administration to meet the changing needs of the music ministry of the church. Worship Arts: Music Pastor functions to support the value system of the church in its ministry to God, one another and the world, making the following music skills essential:
- Practical application of written and aural music theory;
- Worship leading;
- Keyboard proficiency;
- Pedagogical skills;
- Use of multi-media and computer-related equipment;
- Music and dramatic production;
- Music composition and arranging;
- Adaptation of music to indigenous cultures.
Worship Arts: Music Pastor is more than performance, it is ministry and therefore the following ministry skills are needed:
- Prophet-bringing forth God’s Word through sacred music;
- Evangelist-using music to reach the lost;
- Pastor-being a disciple and discipling and caring for others;
- Teacher—using music to teach the truths of God’s word;
- Apostle—using music to help plant churches and/or further God’s work in other cultures.
Effective leaders need skills in the area of administration as follows:
- Organization/time management;
- Public and staff relations;
All students must complete the General Education Core and Biblical Studies Core. In addition, all Worship Arts: Music Pastor majors are required to complete the Worship Arts: Music Pastor Core and Worship Arts: Music Pastor Supporting Program. General electives may be added or an optional minor may be selected. Total credit hours to complete the Worship Arts: Music Pastor major must equal at least 124 credit hours.