- Deep, regular breathing.
- Find a quiet place by water or in the sunshine
- Focus on relaxing muscle groups
- Go on a personal retreat
Soothe your senses by:
- Taking a warm shower
- Listening to music you like. Music can release powerful emotions.
- Roll up in a blanket or lie on a nest of pillows. Feel safe.
- Look at the light side of life, find humor in the situation.
- Watch a comedy.
Deal with issues—keep them from festering:
- Talk to someone you trust about feelings and issues.
- Problem solve.
- Ask for help when you need it.
- Call someone who is nonjudgmental and talk about your issues.
- Connect with and use your support system.
- Work on acceptance (You don't have to like it to accept it.)
- Write a poem or song
- Write a response to a song that relates to how you feel.
Stay in the present:
- Mindfulness; concentrate on the task at hand.
- Leave the past behind and don't worry about the future.
- Repeat affirmations to yourself.
- Write down all the positives of self.
- Imagine a great future for yourself.
- Check out negative thoughts with a trusted friend are they true?
- Talk to someone who encourages the positives in yourself.
- Read the promises found in scripture
Distract yourself from negative thoughts—look for activities that will create positive emotions:
- Take a mini-vacation.
- Watch a movie, read a book, assemble a puzzle.
- Go for a walk.
- Work on a craft project.
- Contribute focus on someone else by listening or doing something thoughtful.
- Plan something fun.
- Play a music instrument
- Schedule your day
- Eat regular meals
- Plan something fun
Use spiritual resources:
- Talk to a spiritual leader or friend
- Read the Word of God
- Play praise and worship music and spend some time worshipping
Use excess energy in a positive way:
- Run, jog, walk
- Play a sport
- Run stairs
- Lift weights