Students who complete all coursework in university and education department courses, successfully complete all field experiences with documentation of attainment of the Standards of Effective Practice, and who complete all requisite state mandated testing, may begin the licensing procedure. Students will be given information on the Minnesota teaching licensure process during EDUC 472, Student Teaching Seminar.
Students who wish to apply for a license in states other than Minnesota should check with that state's licensing agency for instructions. Institution verification forms should be delivered to the education department for completion.
The following must be completed before MN licensure will be granted:
- Completion of all required MTLE (or Praxis) licensure tests. Official score reports showing passing scores must be received in the education office before your license application can be verified. Make sure that North Central University is indicated as the recipient of your scores.
- Your degree must be conferred by the Registrar's Office. Incomplete grades or holds on your account will delay this.
- You must receive a C or higher in all education methods courses.
- You must receive a C or higher in all courses required for concentration.
- Your overall GPA must be 2.5 or above.
When all of these conditions have been met, you may begin the application process:
- Complete an online application at the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) website. A non-refundable fee for the license application and the criminal background check must be paid by Visa or Master Card at the end of the application process.
- After your application is complete, log back in to print off the application cover sheet/checklist and a Verification of Licensure Program form, which will be completed by the NCU education department.
- Complete a fingerprint card from the Department of Education. Cards may be picked up from the NCU Education Office. Fingerprinting should be done professionally to ensure that is completed correctly.
Deliver your fingerprint card, application cover sheet/checklist, and verification of licensure program form to the NCU Education Office. The Education Office will send your completed materials to MDE. Please note that all materials must be received by MDE within 60 days of the online application or your application will be deleted and your fees forfeited. For this reason, you should wait until your degree has posted and your MTLE scores have been received to begin the licensure process.
Should a dispute arise between a current education student or graduate and NCU regarding recommendation for licensure or the student's teaching credentials, the student may contact the Minnesota Board of Teaching for mediation.