Steps to a Career
Career planning is a little bit different from choosing a major. Although the two are related, a major is merely a stepping-stone, whereas a career is an ongoing process. According to the Minnesota Higher Education Service office, “the average person changes careers at least three times during his or her life.”
However, having an idea of what you might like to be when you grow up, does give you an advantage as you plan your career path. Its important to not think of a career path as being a straight linear trail. Rather, think of a career path as potentially being a scenic route that winds its way through God’s creation. Sometimes that scenic route is straight, sometimes you back track, sometimes its gravel, sometimes it in a flower garden and sometimes it’s in a desert. Keeping this picture in mind will give you the freedom to chose a career understanding that this is where I feel lead for now.
Suggested Steps for Choosing a Career
- Self-explore. The process begins with being open to understanding who you are. Being willing to allow other to assist you in that process, which helps you can another perspective. Self awareness helps you to establish your priorities and goals as you begin you career journey.
- Investigate. Take the time to learn about the various career options available. This stage involves gathering as much information as one can about their fields of interest through reading, interviewing, and researching.
- Analyze. Once all the information has been gathered it important to look closely at the data. Note areas that overlap, repeat, or stand out this may help in providing direction. This is also a good point to meet with a career counselor or advisor to assist in pulling the information together.
- Focus. Every person has to launch out from a begin point. This does not mean that the focus point cannot be revisited in the future should you discover things have changed. Once you have discovered an area of interest it is time to start taking the steps to see if this is the career path for you.
- Go for it. This stage consists of doing what it takes to land the job you are working towards. Resume writing, interviewing, and networking are some of the tools you will need to refine in order to land that job that by this time is hopefully resonating within you.