Tips on Personal Safety in Parking Lots and Ramps
- Put valuables and packages in the trunk or out of sight before you arrive at your destination.
- Drive with your car doors locked and windows closed.
- Keep wallets and purses out of view while driving. Do not leave them next to you on the seat.
- Look and Park in a well-lighted area of the lot or ramp.
- When you can, park your car as close as possible to an exit in a ramp, or near the attendant’s office in a lot.
- If you must leave your key with attendant, leave only your car key.
- Check parking ramp or lot for security, video cameras, regular patrols, or escort services.
- Do not leave any valuables where they can be seen from outside the car.
- Keep your parking stub.
- Walk in the center of the ramp roadway. Display a confident and positive attitude.
- If someone is trying to break into your car, honk the horn repeatedly.
When Returning to the Car:
- If possible, return to your car with an escort or in a group.
- Have your door key in your hand.
- Look around and inside your car before you unlock the door and get in.
- Once inside the car, lock your door and start your engine. Start moving the car as soon as possible after situating yourself.
- If you someone is following you while you are driving, go to the closest police or fire station and honk your horn, or drive to an open business or gas station where you can safely call the police.