- Writer In Residence
- M.F.A. Creative Writing, University of Nebraska, 2007
- M.A. English, University of Nebraska, 2005
- B.A. North Central University, 1999
- Association of Writers and Writing Programs (AWP)
- Modern Language Association (MLA)
- The Playwright Center
- The Loft Literary Center
- The Dramatists Guild
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Sigma Tau Delta
- The Poetry Society of America
- The Academy of American Poets
An alumnus of North Central, Gary Dop engages students with wit and humor. As a creative writing professor, Dop thrives on encouraging young writers as they begin the long, joyous process of finding their voice, developing their craft, and embracing the publishing world.
In addition to creative writing and literature courses, Dop founded and directs the Taproot Reading Series, which brings accomplished writers into Minneapolis' Elliot Park Neighborhood, and he occasionally works as a creative consultant (writing commercials, short films, and creative material) for businesses and arts organizations.
He and his wife, Liz, enjoy showing their young daughters, Brooklyn, Amorie, and Juliette the rich culture of the Twin Cities. His daughters, not yet devouring Shakespeare, love to play dress up and make daddy dance with them.
After growing up in Germany and the Midwest, Dop received his M.F.A from the University of Nebraska, where he was awarded the M.F.A. Creative Writing Award as the program's top student. Dop’s poems regularly appear in national literary magazines, and he presents his work at universities and community events around the country. His poetry has been recognized by the Poetry Foundation’s syndicated newspaper column, American Life in Poetry, and by the Pushcart Prize Anthology with a 2011 Special Mention.
The following journals, among others, have published Dop’s work:
- North American Review, New Letters, Poetry Northwest, The New York Quarterly,
- Rattle, AGNI, Hotel Amerika, Salt Hill, Passages North, Poetry East, Cave Wall
- Poet Lore, and Green Mountains Review.
For current information and updates, visit his website: www.garydop.com