- Adjunct Faculty - Theology
- B.A. - Theatre Arts, Bethel University, St. Paul, MN
- M.C.S. - Christianity and the Arts, Regent College, Vancouver, BC
- M.A. - Pastoral Theology, Institute for Orthodox Christian Studies, Cambridge, England
Katy Wehr teaches two sections of Systematic Theology 3: Christology and Soteriology. She began teaching at NCU in Spring 2013 by creating the special arts-focused section of Sys Theo 3 where music, creative writing, visual arts, performing arts and media are used to explore and respond to the theology of who Christ is and the Salvation he brings us. She hopes that artistic students will not only learn the material in a way that better fits with their gifts and learning styles but that they will become passionate about the lively connections between theology and the arts.
She now also teaches a "regular" section of Sys Theo 3 as well where students do more traditional assignments though she continues to use a creative teaching approach, as was overheard of her in the NCU library, "Don't worry; you can't take the arts out of that woman!"
Katy is also the Office Manager for the Institute for Biblical and Theological Studies, serves on the Studies Abroad Policy Council and manages the study abroad program to Ridley Hall in Cambridge, England where she used to work. She loves when students stop by her office to talk about theology and life and she is the staff advisor for the weekly IBATS student coffee.
Here are some of the ways Katy has used her creative skills:
Singleness and the Early Church: Encouragement for Living the Single Life in Christ Today. Grove Books - Spirituality Series. 2012.
- In Others' Words (2008)
- The Smell of Rain (2005)
Journal Articles and Book Reviews
- "A Pilgrimage Together" with Brittany Bump Blanksi. Presence; An International Journal of Spiritual Direction (19:1, 2013, 21-26)
- "Virginity, Singleness and Celibacy; Late Fourth Century and Recent Evangelical Visions of Unmarried Christians." Theology and Sexuality (17:1, 2011, 75-99)
- "The Orthodox Bioethics of Cremation." St. Vladimir's Theological Quarterly (55:4, 2011, 501-507)
- "Understanding Ritual Purity and Sin in the Churching of Women; From Ontological to Pedagogical to Eschatological." St. Vladimir's Theological Quarterly (55:1, 2011, 85-105)
- "Book Review: Redeeming Singleness; How the Storyline of Scripture Affirms the Single Life by Barry Danylak." Anvil Journal (27:1, 2011, online)
- "Book Review: A Wild Constraint: the Case for Chastity by Jenny Taylor." Anvil Journal (26:3-4, 2009, 323-324)
- Numerous drama ministry scripts published through Max7.org
- Writing and directing dramas for children's ministry at Church of the Cross
- Teaching acting classes at Youth Performance Company (2002-2003)
- Associate Producer for international children's dramas for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (1999-2002)
Memberships and Volunteering
Memberships: The Guthrie Theater, The Museum of Russian Art & Minnesota Landscape Arboretum
Reading Group Leader, MacLaurin CSF at the University of Minnesota, including:
- Dorothy L. Sayers's The Man Born to be King - 12 Radio Plays
- The Life of Christ in Art at the Minneapolis Institute of Art
- Augustine's Marriage and Virginity
- N.T. Wright's Suprised By Hope
- Two Models of Leadership in the Early Church: Anthony of Egypt and Gregory the Great
- Singleness in the Early Church