Aspiring to a diverse future for North Central University
North Central University aspires to a future featuring a diversity of experiences, perspectives, approaches and methods. The university holds this aspiration highly and believes that it’s critical to NCU’s mission statement to being a “Christ-centered, Bible-based, Pentecostal school with a commitment to academic excellence that prepares students to fulfill biblical models of leadership and ministry throughout the world.”
Diversity and Equity Aspiration Statement
As a community of Christian faith, steeped in the Pentecostal practice and tradition, North Central University welcomes the contributions of a diversity of voices as we together seek to fulfill our shared mission. We hold diversity of experiences, perspectives, approaches, and methods as critical to our aspiration to be a “Christ-centered, Bible-based, Pentecostal school with a commitment to academic excellence that prepares students to fulfill biblical models of leadership and ministry throughout the world.” In fact, such diversity reflects the very best of our historical tradition and the biblical values we espouse.
We therefore seek to foster a learning and professional community that values the contribution of every member without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, socioeconomic class, denomination, age, or physical ability. We also endeavor to treat with dignity and respect all persons, without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, socioeconomic class, denomination, age, or physical ability, not out of constraint, but because we believe resolutely that all human beings are made equally in God’s image.
We therefore imagine North Central University to be a place where:
- Students, staff, faculty, administration, and regents reflecting diverse backgrounds find true connectedness and support for their flourishing,
- Honest and sustained efforts are made to ensure that persons from underrepresented, underserved, and/or historically-disadvantaged communities are deeply integrated into all processes of the university’s life and function.
To that end, in the loving and empowering Spirit of Jesus Christ, we will devote effort and resources to:
- Continually revising our curricular and co-curricular program offerings to ensure maximal inclusiveness, with areas of special concern to include course options, types of academic resources and assessments, the chapel experience, and student activities;
- Increasing our efforts to recruit, retain, and graduate as diverse a student population as possible;
- Actively cultivating, recruiting, and hiring staff and faculty who represent a multiplicity of perspectives and demographic and socio-economic backgrounds;
- Courageously using our influence as a Christian university to address matters of concern for diverse communities in our region;
- Educating ourselves (that is, our various constituencies: board, administration, faculty, staff, and students) in the nuances of cultural competence and peaceful conflict resolution;
- Faithfully persisting in the pursuit of the above-mentioned goals despite external and internal challenges; and
- Regularly assessing our progress in these goals, knowing that, as time progresses, the goals themselves will evolve.
We will strive to do this all with true care, generosity, and hospitality.