Professor, Old Testament & Hebrew
Departments: School of Biblical & Theological Studies
Office: Miller Hall #259
- Ph.D., University of Minnesota
- M.A., University of Minnesota
- B.A., University of Minnesota
- Professor, North Central University, 1978-present
- Visiting Professor, 2002 Southwest University- Nanchong, China
- Visiting Professor, 2000 Addis Ababa Bible College Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Visiting Professor, 1999 Sofia Bible Institute Sofia, Bulgaria
- Adjunct Professor, 1996-97 Bethel University, St. Paul, Minnesota
- Visiting Professor East Africa School of Theology- Nairobi, Kenya Spring Semester, 1997
- Faculty Associate, 1995-96, Bethel Theological Seminary, St. Paul, Minnesota
- Adjunct Lecturer, 1994-95 Dept. of Classical & Near Eastern Studies University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Andrew W. Mellon Faculty Fellow, 1990-91 Dept. of Near Eastern Languages & Civilizations Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Dr. Buzz Brookman teaches courses in Archaeology, Old Testament and Hebrew. His Ph.D. is in Ancient Studies from the University of Minnesota. He is a former Andrew Mellon Faculty Fellow at Harvard University where he taught in the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures. He has wide-ranging interests in antiquity, culture, and languages.
- Society of Biblical Literature
- American Schools of Oriental Research
Selected Publications and Papers Presented:
- Orange Proverbs & Purple Parables. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2015.
- “Where is Bethsaida? The Heart of an Archaeological Puzzle” SBL Upper Midwest Regional Meeting April, 2015.
- Review: Malachi: A Handbook on the Hebrew Text, 2012.
- “Mapping the Metaphorical World: The Case of Psalm 1” SBL Annual Meeting Nov, 2012.
- “The Cuneiform Collection of the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Massachusetts,” Cuneiform Digital Library Journal 2012:1. http://cdli.ucla.edu/pubs/cdlj/2012/cdlj2012_001.pdf
- Global Scenes of Biblical Injustice. Lanham, MD: University Press of America, 2011.
- “Interfaith Jousting Over Psalm 2: Jewish Interpretations in Light of the Polemics with Christians” SBL Annual Meeting Nov, 2011.
- “Jews and Christians in the 1st Century: Threads of Insight from minor Midrashim” SBL Annual Meeting Nov, 2010.
- “The Odyssey of Language Learning,” in Brenneman, Brookman & Muhovich (eds.) Java & Justice: Journey in Pentecostal Missions Education. Minneapolis: North Central University Press, 2006.
- Grinding the Face of the Poor: A Reader in Biblical Justice. Minneapolis: North Central University Press, 2006.
- Java & Justice: Journey in Pentecostal Missions Education. Minneapolis: North Central University Press, 2006.
- “Atargatis, Athbash, Book, Ephlal” in Katharine Doob Sakenfeld, et al, eds., New Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible Volume I (Nashville, TN.: Abingdon Press, 2006).
- Review: Between Text and Artifact: Integrating Archaeology in Biblical Studies, 2004. http://www.bookreviews.org/pdf/4222_4158.pdf
- “Ezra,” in Dictionary of World Biography: The Ancient World eds. Frank Magill and Christina J. Moose. London: Taylor & Frances, 2003.
- “Texts and Fragments,” Journal of Cuneiform Studies, Vol. 38 No. 2 (Autumn 1986) 246-252.
Grants and Fellowships
- 1990-91 Andrew W. Mellon Faculty Fellow – Harvard University
- 1986 National Endowment for the Humanities Grant – Travel to Collections
Offices Held in Professional Societies
- President Upper Midwest Region of SBL (1995-97)
- Vice President Upper Midwest Region of SBL (1993-95)