Youth, Children, and Family Ministries at a glance
North Central’s Youth, Children, and Family Ministries major will prepare you to be a mentor, leader, and servant for people ages Birth-High School as you guide them in their walk with Christ. Through courses taught by experienced, passionate professors, you’ll learn to plan and implement youth programs, develop vibrant, Christ-centered youth, children and family ministries in a variety of settings.
Want to learn more?
Download the one sheet!
Simply fill in your info on the form to download the informational one sheet that covers:
- An overview of the program
- Classes you’ll take
- Exciting jobs you can get after graduation
Interested in earning your degree in Youth, Children, and Family Ministries at NCU?
What sets us apart
Skills you’ll gain
When you graduate from the Youth, Children, and Family Ministries program, you’ll be prepared to:
- Plan and implement effective youth and children’s programs
- Understand the developmental stages of different age groups
- Relate to youth and children as you help with their spiritual, emotional, social, family, and personal needs
- Develop, lead, train, and mentor youth & children’s leaders
- Preach effective, authentic, accurate messages to young people
- Disciple new Christians
- Build relationships with schools and other youth organizations
- Practice personal spiritual formation
- Actualize your God-given gifts
- Serve as a model of Christian character and lifestyle
Our graduates succeed in a variety of jobs and careers. Here are some possibilities:
- Youth pastor
- Junior and senior high ministry
- College ministry
- Program director for at-risk youth
- Social service specialist
- Urban youth ministry
- International student ministry
- Youth camp director
Minors & supporting programs
We want you to be well-rounded and well-prepared when you graduate, so you’ll have the opportunity to choose a minor or supporting program so you can explore another area of interest. Here are some possibilities:
- Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Campus Missions
- Children & Family Ministries
- Intercultural Studies
- International Development
- Leadership Development
- Urban Studies
See the full list of minors and supporting programs.
Josiah Kennealy '13
"I am responding to the call God has placed on my life to reach young adults for Christ. As a North Central student, you benefit from opportunities to serve at a local church and a local community around you."
Eric Samuel Timm ’01
"NCU gave me a compass, not a map. For what I do now there is no plan, no mold, no box. For dreams like this you need to have a heading, even if you don’t know the steps to get there. NCU put me in a place to have the courage to follow my compass."
All students must complete the General Education Core and Christian Studies Core. General electives may be added or an optional minor may be selected. You need 124 total credit hours to complete the Youth Ministries degree.
Meet one of your professors
College Life Center (CLC)
Douglas M. Graham
Vice President of Spiritual Life
It is an incredible privilege to serve here at NCU! As a graduate (’86), I am proud that all four of my children are NCU Alums, and my wife will soon graduate with her degree! North Central University is indeed a Graham family legacy.
What are your areas of expertise?
My area of interest in teaching here at NCU is in church leadership and spiritual life development.
What do you love about teaching at North Central?
I love the hunger for life-long learning that is evident in the students at NCU. Students come to NCU because they intend for their life to make a difference in the world. I believe that the world and church of tomorrow rests in the students of today. For this reason, I am honored to be a part of an academic and spiritual preparation process that is committed to launching students around the world to be godly and strategic leaders for the 21st Century.
What are your favorite classes to teach?
- Personal Formation of the Spiritual Leader (freshman)
- Pastoral Theology (juniors)
- Personal Leadership Development (Graduate Studies – MA Strategic Leadership)