By Emily Robertson
Location can have a serious impact on your experience at a school. And there are colleges and universities in cornfields and cities all across the country for you to fill your college-search list.
But will they provide you with all of the opportunities that you need after college graduation?
Download a free College Decision Worksheet to help evaluate every factor of your college decision.
Here are the top 15 reasons you should choose a Christian university in downtown Minneapolis.
- Career advancement
Colleges downtown are the perfect place for getting career experience for your resume. Get internships with top companies and network with local leaders. In fact, Minneapolis is ranked one of the top cities for landing jobs.
- Non-profit volunteer and job opportunities
The volunteer opportunities a college downtown can offer are endless. And whether your major is in business or elementary education, volunteer experience is always an asset to future employers. If you’re looking to serve in the non-profit world, downtown universities offer charities and non-profit organizations where you can make a difference and gain real world experience at the same time.Find a place to serve at YMCA, American Red Cross, Minnesota Adult & Teen Challenge, People Serving People, Children’s Hospital, Salvation Army, Pulse, Special Olympics Minnesota, Elliot Park Neighborhood, Feed My Starving Children, Make-A-Wish Foundation, TreeHouse, Urban Ventures, Marie Sandvig Center, and more!
- Easy transportation In cities like Minneapolis, there are public transportation systems like buses and the light rail through Metro Transit. The light rail has stations located across Minneapolis, St. Paul, and even stretches to the airport and Mall of America. Nice Ride bikes also have stations located all around Minneapolis for a convenient rental option. No matter what your end destination is, attending an urban college will give you plenty of great options to get there.
- It’s the City of Lakes
Minneapolis’ most visited area, especially in the summer months, is the “Chain of Lakes” which includes Lake of the Isles, Lake Calhoun, and Lake Harriet. You can rent pedal boats, kayaks, canoes, and paddle boards at Wheel Fun on Lake Calhoun. They also serve a mean Fish & Chips at Tin Fish located in Calhoun Park.
- The Minneapolis skyline It’s the best Skyline around… we might be a bit biased. You never get sick of seeing the view from campus, whether it’s the first snowfall of the year or a summer sunset over the skyscrapers. You will love this city!
- Parks, parks, and more parks Minneapolis was voted the nation’s #1 park system in 2016 and for good reason! Not only is campus located by Elliot Park, but also downtown are Loring Park, Mills Ruins Park, and The Commons. Students often venture out to Theodore Wirth Park, Lake Calhoun Park, and more around the downtown area. Hop on a bike, grab some running shoes, or enjoy a leisure walk in the best rated park system in America.
- Local church variety If you are looking to attend a Christian university, there are lots of different churches in the downtown area to choose from! Here are some of the top churches that North Central students attend:
- River Valley Church
- Substance Church
- Hope Community Church
- Bethlehem Baptist
- First Covenant Church
- Professional sports in your backyardWhether you just want to walk, bike, or take the light rail to a game or want to land an internship or part-time job, college downtown is where it’s at! Minnesota Vikings, Minnesota Timberwolves and Lynx, and the Minnesota Twins are all located within walking distance of campus! Also, the Minnesota Wild are only a light-rail ride away.Read this story about a North Central student who got to intern with the Minnesota Vikings football team for tips on how you can land your dream internship.
- Cultural diversity Being downtown also allows students the chance to see and meet people of different backgrounds and cultures. It’s a great opportunity to converse with people who bring a different story or culture than people you grew up with. Diversity is welcomed in Minneapolis and students can gain a unique cultural experience the urban downtown area.
- Art, theater, and museumsWhether you like site seeing unique architecture or walking into a museum for educational enjoyment, Minneapolis is filled with art scenes for everyone! Minneapolis Institute of Art, Mill City Museum, Walker Art Center, Weisman Art Museum, American Swedish Institute, The Museum of Russian Art, Foshay Tower, Sculpture Garden, Stone Arch Bridge, Guthrie Theater, Ordway Theater, and more!
- Local coffee shops Minnesotans are serious about their coffee. Especially in the cold winter months! Segue Coffee has two on-campus locations that students go to for quality study time. Other local coffee shops include Corner Coffee, Spyhouse Coffee, Misfit Coffee, Blackeye Roasting Co., Corner Coffee, Espresso Royale, and more.Plan your visit to North Central University’s downtown Minneapolis campus.
- Food trucks Every weekday, food trucks line up on 2nd Ave S and Marquette Ave, seven blocks from campus during the lunch hours (11 a.m.–1 p.m.). Take advantage of local vendors and diverse menus!
- More restaurants for the Foodies
Minneapolitans love their food. It’s no secret. Here are the top affordable quick eats that we enjoy: Penny’s, Band Box Diner, Eggy’s Diner, If you are looking to drop a little more money on dinner, here are our Minneapolis favorites: Butcher & the Boar, The Copper Pot, Spoon and Stable, Capital Grille, etc.
- Music is in the air Minneapolis is home to a wide variety of venues for concerts and shows of all kinds. Some student favorites include First Avenue, Skyway Theater, Varsity Theater, and Dakota Jazz Club. If you’re looking for big-name artists, check out a concert at Target Field, Target Center, and US Bank Stadium host the top dogs in town.
- Minneapolis means business Minneapolis is home to many Fortune 500 companies that are always looking for smart, eager college students who are ready to learn and build their resume. Target, U.S. Bancorp, Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, and more!
- Career advancement
Getting ready to make your college decision?
If you’re evaluating your top college options, you’re probably making a pros and cons list, or maybe you’re making lots of lists.