Located in the heart of Minneapolis, North Central University is a coeducational, undergraduate, primarily residential college owned and operated by 11 Assemblies of God districts of the upper Midwest.
Founded in 1930 under the name North Central Bible Institute, the school originally enrolled 26 students and classes were held in the Minneapolis Gospel Tabernacle (now Christ Church International). Ownership of the Institute was in the hands of the North Central District Council of the Assemblies of God, which at that time included territory extending from the Great Lakes west to the Continental Divide in the northern tier of states.
Enrollment steadily increased from 1933 to 1936, and it was clear that the school needed to expand. In 1936, North Central moved to its current location at 910 Elliot Avenue in downtown Minneapolis to provide housing, office, and classroom space for 500 students.
In 1955, to meet growing demand for more educational opportunities, North Central added four-year degree programs. The school’s name was changed to North Central Bible College in 1957 to reflect the new bachelor’s degree offerings. In 1964, North Central was accredited by the American Association of Bible Colleges. Recognizing its commitment to the needs of its constituents, North Central continued expanding its offerings and was accredited in 1986 by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).
Over the following years enrollment continued to increase, and North Central acquired and constructed buildings to serve its growing student body. Notable buildings include the F.J. Lindquist Chapel (built in 1973), the Clark/Danielson College Life Center (built in 1981), and the Thomas E. Trask Word and Worship Center (built in 2005).
Becoming a university
At the spring 1998 meeting of the Board of Regents, the college’s name was changed to North Central University.
In keeping with the vital and growing character of the school, enrollment has more than tripled from 401 students in 1975 to a present enrollment of approximately 1,500 in the residence and distance education programs. The stability and strength of North Central has produced more than 24,000 alumni, and of its graduates, 75 percent are presently in ministry positions throughout the United States and around the world.