Instructional Designer (Digital Education)
Exempt – Full Time
North Central University Mission Statement
North Central University is a dynamic Christian learning community educating students for lives of service throughout society, the marketplace, and the church. In keeping with its Pentecostal heritage and mission, NCU models and expects excellence in both academic practice and Christian faith.
This Instructional Designer contract position is responsible for the co-design, editing, and quality assurance of online courses, collaborating in these efforts with the Digital Education team and the Executive Director of Digital Education. The primary responsibility of this position is to assist in building and moving course content from Moodle to Canvas. S/he may also participate in the planning, organization, and direction of the online course development strategy, in addition to providing LMS and other technological support to faculty.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with the Instructional Design team to develop and edit online learning materials and content. This can include assessing learning needs and analyzing existing instructional materials.
- Identify appropriate instructional strategies and support the defining of learning outcomes appropriate to college-level curriculum.
- Work with faculty to help develop and design online materials such as lesson plans, lesson content, learning outcomes, and assessment tools.
- May participate in the implementation of professional development programs, training instructors or students to use online learning technologies.
- Provide administrative support in the deployment, implementation, and evaluation of courses on Canvas and other educational technologies.
- Troubleshoot technical problems or address user-reported issues with Canvas and other educational technologies.
- Engage in regular evaluation and continuous improvement to ensure the effectiveness and overall quality of online courses.
- Remain current in industry trends and related technology.
- Participate in the planning, organization, and direction of the online course development strategy.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in instructional design, educational technology, and instruction preferred.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a dynamic environment and must be able to work independently exercising discretion and sound judgment
- Ability to work collegially and effectively with individual faculty and staff, and in a team environment
- Knowledge of sound course design principles and practices, including the development and assessment of learning outcomes, and their alignment with appropriate learning activities
- Proficiency in Canvas and Moodle Learning Management systems, Panopto, Zoom, MS Office software, Google productivity applications, university administrative information systems, and other relevant software
- Highly motivated and committed to continuous learning and professional development
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, written, and organizational skills
Working conditions and frequency
- Daily exposure to repetitive motions of the fingers, hands and wrists.
- Position may be remote
Equipment and Tools
- Use of a PC and telephone, photocopier and facsimile machine approximately 95% of the workday
North Central University employs qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, familial status, and status with regard to public assistance. Individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
The aforementioned statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of the position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Job incumbents may be required to perform other functions not specifically addressed in this job description.