Computer Lab Assistant
Student Employment, Part time
The Computer Lab Assistant provides technical assistance by helping with hardware issues, installing and using software programs, printing documents, and understanding and using certain operating systems. They also monitor the computer lab and help to resolve computer problems and questions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Offers general consultation for people who are working or studying in the lab.
- Provides instruction to all lab users on proper use of equipment and ensures all lab equipment is properly cared for.
- Consults supervisors on more difficult issues.
- Makes sure food and beverages are not consumed in close proximity to computers.
- Monitors files and programs that are downloaded on to the computers to make sure spyware, malware and other dangerous programs are not downloaded.
- Diagnoses hardware problems and fixes them or contacts the appropriate engineer to correct the problem.
- Files all reports required by the employer.
- Supplies reference materials to help users learn how to use particular programs.
- Conducts regular maintenance on the computers in the lab.
- Maintains inventory of supplies, places orders and records of maintenance activities.
- Changes toner in printers, adds paper and otherwise ensures proper functioning of all printers in the lab.
- Sets up and shuts down the lab according to work hours.
- Guides lab users to safety in the event of a fire or emergencies.
- Currently enrolled student at NCU.
- Knowledge of computer systems, hardware and various types of software. (Particularly Java Programming, Python Programming, SQL programming, Networking, Computer Security, and Computer Architecture)
- Must have the ability to effectively provide instruction to lab users.
- Knowledge of how to operate, maintain and care for printers, projectors, scanners, speakers and other equipment used in conjunction with computers.
- Knowledge of tests that must be performed on computers to maintain optimal function.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Must have excellent reading comprehension skills.
- Must have exceptional complex problem-solving skills.
- Must have strong organizational skills as well as effective time management abilities.
- Must have active listening skills.
- Must have excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to lift heavy objects like computer monitors, printers and hard drives.
- Must have dexterity to manipulate a mouse and perform routine maintenance on computers and related equipment.
- Work environment: time is spent looking at computer screens and operating a keyboard
- Hours/week: 12 hours
- Time: Fall 2019 – Mondays and Thursdays 6pm to 12am, Spring 2020 – Mondays and Wednesdays 6pm to 12am
For more information, contact
Colin Miller at 612.343.4193 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The aforementioned statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of the position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Job incumbents may be required to perform other functions not specifically addressed in this job description.
Questions? Contact us.
North Central University
Attn: Human Resources
910 Elliot Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55404-1391
Fax # (612) 343-8063