Director of Student Financial Services
Full Time Exempt
North Central University Mission Statement
North Central University is a dynamic Christian learning community educating students for lives of service throughout society, the marketplace, and the church. In keeping with its Pentecostal heritage and mission, NCU models and expects excellence in both academic practice and Christian faith.
The Director of Student Financial Services provides oversight for the Financial Aid and Student Accounts processes at North Central University. This director is responsible to administrate staff and programs that assist students with billing, financial aid applications, and receipt of federal, state and institutional funds that make it financially possible for them to attend NCU. This person has responsibility to ensure NCU is complying will all state and federal regulations.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
(40%) Manage and lead student financial services staff, office administrative budget, and electronic/automated services to provide information and service to students
- Hire, train, and strategically lead professional and student staff to provide excellent service and accurate processing of financial aid and billing services.
- Provide on-going training and support to ensure staff development growth and increased knowledge of institutional, state, and federal guidelines.
- Coordinate streamlined interdepartmental processes within the University OneStop Office; including but not limited to Registrar, Retention, Online, Graduate Studies and Admissions
- In collaboration with the Executive Director of the One Stop, develop and review office procedures maximizing accuracy, efficiency, productivity and customer service.
- Coordinate installation, setup, and operation of various software systems used in the Student Financial Services Office.
- Coordinate timely completion of tasks.
- Conduct annual performance reviews.
(30%) Manage the awarding of financial aid packages to recruit and retain students at NCU (undergraduate, online and graduate)
- Develop and implement awarding and packaging policies to support enrollment goals and maximize the utilization of funds.
- Develop forms and publications to notify students of financial aid awards and procedures.
- Manage the counseling and financial advising for students and their families.
- Work with other university offices to prepare invoice information for students (i.e. OneStop, Admissions, Accounting, Registration, Retention, Housing).
- Coordinate authorization of financial aid funds to be disbursed to student accounts.
- Work with enrollment management team and third-party vendor to determine awarding policy metrices each year.
- Cross-train other University OneStop members on the financial aid, student billing and other student facing processes and policies.
- Create and provides data and/or reports on university operations for tracking and evaluation.
(20%) Ensure compliance with federal, state and university regulations
- Monitor students’ eligibility of financial aid funds.
- Attend federal, state, and professional financial aid and student billing information and training conferences.
- Keep current on federal and state financial aid programs, including interpretation, implementation, and compliance regulations, procedures and eligibility requirements.
- Monitor and provide oversite for the administration of the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Loan Programs, Minnesota State Grant and Loan programs, Federal and State Work-Study Programs, and NCU’s institutional grant, scholarship, and discounting programs.
- Develop consumer information and provide to students as required by federal regulation.
(10%) Ensure compliance with federal, state and university regulations
- Prepare annual FISAP (Fiscal Operations and Application for Funds) Report for U.S. Department of Education with assistance from Accounting and Registrar’s Offices.
- Send monthly reports to Minnesota Higher education on the Minnesota State Grant program.
- Send origination and disbursement records of Federal Pell Grants to the U.S. Department of Education’s Recipient Financial Management System.
- Assist in the submission of Financial Aid data for the NCAA annual report, the annual IPEDS report, and other requested data from enrollment, institutional research, and the registrar’s office.
- Prepare annual report for auditors and provide information and answer questions for annual audit.
Minimum Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree and three years of managerial experience in higher education financial aid/student accounts or five years of financial aid/student accounts experience with progressive levels of responsibility in a higher education financial aid or student accounts office.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Knowledge of federal and state regulations pertaining to the delivery of financial aid funds for higher education.
- Experience with of technological resources including a wide variety of software programs and applications including but not restricted to university ERP systems, word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Knowledge of federal tax forms and financial aid application forms.
- Skill in math and accounting procedures to reconcile student and financial aid fund accounts.
- Skill and experience in customer services to provide excellent customer care.
- Ability to communicate in verbal and written form to ensure shared understanding of information.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Ability to deal with sensitive financial and personal situations of students and parents.
Working conditions and frequency
- Exposure to repetitive motion of the fingers, hands and wrists on a daily basis
- Work is performed in a Christ-centered urban environment
Equipment and Tools
- Use of a PC and telephone, photocopier and facsimile machine approximately 95% of the workday
The aforementioned statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of the position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Job incumbents may be required to perform other functions not specifically addressed in this job description.