Applied Studies: Cinema at a glance
North Central University’s Applied Studies: Cinema program will teach you how to develop screenplays, film multiple genres (documentary, short film, feature), and strengthen your skills in set lighting, directing, editing software, and much more. Through relevant courses taught by experienced faculty, you’ll become a master storyteller who can combine powerful images with inspiring dialogue. Offered in partnership with Minneapolis College, you’ll earn a bachelor’s degree from North Central and an associate’s degree from Minneapolis College while pursuing a fulfilling career in this marketable and growing field.
What sets us apart
Skills you’ll gain
When you graduate from the Cinema program, you’ll be prepared with skills and knowledge in:
- Fundamentals of cinema, including cinema history, plot, dialogue, scenes, and character development
- Dramatic and nonfiction genres, including short film, documentary, independent, commercial and alternative format, and feature
- Writing, directing, editing, set lighting, storytelling, and post-production tools
- Collaboration with other filmmakers, including offering and receiving feedback
- Best practices in professional filming standards and expectations
Our graduates succeed in a variety of jobs and careers. Here are some possibilities:
- Script Reader/Analyst
- Film Editor
- Production Assistant
- Independent Producer
You could work in a variety of settings, including:
- Local and national film and video production houses
- Local and national independent producers
- Independent home video distribution companies
- In-house production departments within corporations
- Local and national film studios
- Local and national television, cable stations, and networks
- Local and national advertising agencies
- Freelance work
Minors & supporting programs
We want you to be well-rounded and well-prepared when you graduate, so you’ll have the opportunity to choose a minor or supporting program so you can explore another area of interest. Here are some possibilities:
- Business Administration
- English: Writing
- Intercultural Studies
- Media Communications
- Media Production
- Public Relations and Advertising
- Leadership Development
- Urban Studies
See the full list of minors and supporting programs.
Josh Chitwood '15
"I was always challenged, encouraged and supported by my professors at NCU, even before I arrived on campus. The assignments were stretching and had plenty of space for creative thinking and incorporating faith."
All students must complete the General Education Core and Christian Studies Core. General electives may be added or an optional minor may be selected. You need 124 total credit hours to complete an Applied Studies: Screenwriting degree.
Want to learn more?
Download the one sheet!
Simply fill in your info on the form to download the informational one sheet that covers:
- An overview of the program
- Classes you’ll take
- Exciting jobs you can get after graduation
Interested in earning your degree in Applied Studies: Cinema?