Applied Studies: Early Childhood Education at a glance
North Central University’s Applied Studies: Early Childhood Education program will prepare you to develop and lead activities in urban childcare centers, nursery schools, elementary classrooms, and after school programs. Offered in partnership with Minneapolis Community & Technical College (MCTC), you’ll earn a bachelor’s degree from North Central and an associate’s degree from MCTC while pursuing a fulfilling career in an in-demand field.
What sets us apart
Skills you’ll gain
When you graduate from the Early Childhood Education program, you’ll be prepared with the skills and knowledge to:
- Work with children and families in urban settings
- Understand cultural diversity
- Teach children at various developmental stages
- Use a variety of teaching methods
- Observe, document, and assess children
- Act professionally and ethically in classroom settings
- Create healthy, respectful, and challenging learning environments
- Foster and maintain respectful and supportive relationships with families
- Design and implement developmentally and culturally appropriate activities and curriculum
Our graduates succeed in a variety of jobs and careers. Here are some possibilities:
- Child Care Worker
- Child Care Center Director
- Para-Educator in Preschool or Elementary School
- Instructional Coordinator
- Special Education Para-Educator
- Teacher Aide
You could work in a variety of settings, including:
- Childcare Centers
- Family Support Agencies
- Public Schools
- Afterschool Programs, or Head Start
- Nursery Schools or Preschools
- Childcare Resource Agencies
- Child Life Programs in Hospitals
- Private Households
Minors & supporting programs
We want you to be well-rounded and well-prepared when you graduate, so you’ll have the opportunity to choose a minor or supporting program so you can explore another area of interest. Here are some possibilities:
- Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Campus Missions
- Children’s & Family Ministries
- Deaf Culture Studies
- Intercultural Studies
- Leadership Development
- Urban Studies
- Youth Ministries
See the full list of minors and supporting programs.
Alex Giselle '13
"I had incredible professors who did more than teach me important ideas, concepts, and strategies. They cared about who I was as a person, and inspired me to become the best teacher and person I could be."
All students must complete the General Education Core and Christian Studies Core. General electives may be added or an optional minor may be selected. You need 124 total credit hours to complete an Applied Studies: Early Childhood Education degree.
Want to learn more?
Download the one sheet!
Simply fill in your info on the form to download the informational one sheet that covers:
- An overview of the program
- Classes you’ll take
- Exciting jobs you can get after graduation
Interested in earning your degree in Applied Studies:Early Childhood Education at NCU?